Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Sorrel Drink (Roselle)





                                 I know that a couple people do not know what the picture above it. Its called Sorrel. (You can check out Wikipedia for an in depth knowledge of this lovely flower). However in short, the picture you see above you is used to make what is in essence a tea that is served chilled. Sorrel is an item that many Caribbean people, regardless of where they live, like to consume, especially around Christmas time. While it may be found fresh in many Caribbean countries, its hardly found fresh in the US and is usually found in its fried, packaged form. Benefits: Rich in Vitamin C, Calcium, niacin and riboflavin. Also an antioxidant.
                              To my surprise, in November I found them fresh at a local Caribbean store and got a couple pounds of it. Now, I knew that they were not exactly ready to be picked, but decided it was better than nothing. Took them home, took some pictures and made some Sorrel (which did not actually last really long, and was completely finished before the Christmas season). Making Sorrel brought back the memories of my mother buying them and teaching me how to clean them. I was also reminded how they can stain your fingers red, and can sometimes be itchy! I know there is a remedy for that, but I could not remember at the time. So here is my attempt to walk you through making Sorrel drink for your home (yes even after Christmas)...P.S. I cannot take any credit for this recipe.....its just something that everyone knows how to make I suppose. The basic one is as follows

Ingredients

1 lb sorrel
4 cups water
1 cinnamon stick
6 cloves
sugar to taste as needed
Cherry Brandy for flavoring (optional. Some people only do this for adults, my Mom did this)
(Some Caribbean countries also add Ginger...example Jamaica)

Method

1. Remove the seeds from the sorrel petals. To do so, use a knife and run it in a circle at the top of the sorrel. See picture for clarification.


2. Wash all the sorrel petals before placing them into a pot.
3. I like to add enough water to cover my sorrel ( water depends on if you want it stronger etc). I also add my water and sorrel in the pot at the same time and bring it to a boil with the cinnamon sticks and cloves. (Many people bring the water to a boil first and then add the sorrel. I personally see no difference). I boil it for at least 15 minutes, though I have seen my Mom boil it for longer. 
4. I turn the heat off and leave it in the pot overnight so it can steep better.
5. Next morning, I strain the contents of the pot (don't throw away the petals, they can be used to make a nice alternative to cranberry sauce). 


6. If you are ready to use it then you can add your sugar to it at this time. (diluting with water if necessary. Some people like their sorrel to be very syrupy!). If you wish to store it, store in the refrigerator. 
7. It should be served cold, however when I drank it warm some time ago, it was like a flowery tea.


HOW DO YOU MAKE YOUR SORREL?

3 comments:

  1. This is Very Good...which I could but taste this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way if you add a little ginger it will turn up the flavor and increase the healthy vitamins and minerals...on the other hand many Jamaicans like to add a little white rum... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks SweesMel for your contribution. Proof that there are many ways to make this drink! :)

    ReplyDelete