Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Vegan Black Bean Burgers with Spicy Guacamole and Fried Plantains




                                         There are a couple companies out there that make some really tasty Black Bean Burgers. One that I really like comes from a famous fast food chain, and another from a company specializing in Vegetarian/Vegan products. Both of then have chunks of black beans in them that makes for an interesting burger texture. I decided to make my own black bean burgers, not so much because I did not want a fast food day, but mostly because I am sure that both burgers that I like contain ingredients that are probably not that good for me. One being high amounts of sodium. 
                                         The good thing about re-creating a dish at home that you like, is that you are able to control what goes into it, and how much of a specific ingredient you use. Of course, there is the added bonus that probably for the price of one of the burgers, you can make more product, having leftovers for another day. I love this version so much, that I plan to make some extra, wrap them individually in parchment paper and then foil, and freeze them. That way, when I need one, I or my husband can just grab, cook and eat! Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I enjoyed making and eating them!
P.S. This is another Semi-Homemade Dish...so it won't take long to make :)

Ingredients
2      cans of Black Beans (does not matter the brand)
4      pieces of Whole Wheat Bread (for bread crumbs, or you can buy them)
1/2   yellow onion
1/2   green pepper
3-4  cloves garlic
2 tsp cumin (I simply adore this spice)
1 tsp paprika
1      pack of guacamole, spicy (or you can make your own as shown here)
cilantro (I just used what is shown in the pic, sorry I did not measure, just wanted the taste of it)
1      pack of whole wheat hamburger buns
Vegetable Oil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

Method

1. Gather all ingredients as shown in the picture below. Be sure to rinse the black beans before using them.
2. Using a food processor/Vita Mix, made bread crumbs with the bread (if not you can always use store bought bread crumbs)

                       

3. Add the onion, garlic, sweet pepper and cilantro to the food processor/Vita Mix and chop. If you prefer you can chop them by hand into small bits. You want to leave whatever liquid this process makes with the mix as this helps bind your burger together. This is a good point to add some salt and pepper to the mix.
4. Next using the same mixer, you can mash the beans, or if you prefer you an use a potato masher or a fork. You don't want to completely cream them. (See pic below).
                 

5. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients together. Make sure to add the spices listed above, as well as any other spices you may like (remember good chefs only use recipe's as a guideline, but use their taste buds and heart to help them make masterpieces!) It would be slightly wet to the touch, but that's how you want it. 
6. Using a little vegetable oil on your hands, pick up some of the mixture and form a burger in your hands. Lay it out on a baking sheet covered in foil.I made mine about1 inch thick and a little smaller than the burger bun.  Continue making the burgers until completed. The should look like the picture below.
                      

7.Place them in the refrigerator or freezer for about 10 minutes so that they have some time to set up a bit.
8.Then bake them covered (use foil) at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
9. Let them cool and assemble your burger as shown below. Feel free to add whatever you want to your burgers. My husband and I enjoy them with guacamole. However you can put ketchup, mustard, pickles, tomatoes, lettuce etc. Its your burger! :) If you are making the fried plantains with it, now is a good time to make them.
                   


1 comment:

  1. looks real good, I have got to try this

    ReplyDelete